- On July 11, 2023 Lower Saucon Council voted 3-2 to authorize advertising a new zoning ordinance for the landfill. Despite months of testimony, a unified coalition of community members, organizations, and municipalities, who opposed the destruction of 275 acres of pristine forest protecting the Lehigh River, D&L Trail, 9/11 Memorial Trail, and the Lehigh Valley from the devastating impacts of landfill development, the township chose to continue its path of destruction ignoring the pleas and will of its constituents.
- Knowing the community is united to save the forest, the township now proposes making landfills a use “as of right” on the forest, removing the ability for the township council or zoning hearing board from reviewing a project for appropriateness and to require conditions for development. In stead of following the will of their constituents, the council majority are determined to remove oversight they thought was necessary 6 months ago to avoid the public scrutiny.
I want to take a moment to THANK YOU for your continued support to save 275 acres of forest in Lower Saucon Township from landfill development!
In just four short months we have built a coalition of over 300 people who care about the land and the future of our Lehigh Valley!
Look at what we have accomplished!
- We mobilized the community with yard signs, website, and a Facebook group of landfill warriors!
- – In a move shocking Lower Saucon Township and the landfill, we came to the conditional use hearings with an unprecedented coalition of citizens, organizations, municipalities, and Northampton County, opposing the landfill expansion.
… the landfill is now limping along at the conditional use hearings with little to no presentation explaining their expansion plans or justifying their destruction of the conserved land. We have knocked them off their feet.
- Our volunteers work tirelessly every day speaking with businesses in the community, elected officials, and organizations growing our coalition each day!
- We’ve assisted landowners in finding and retaining an outstanding attorney and experts to fight against the rezoning and conditional use application!
- With the Landfill on the run we assisted landowners in filing multiple challenges to the rezoning of the land. We are confident justice will be served!
- We have launched a social media campaign on Twitter and Facebook, continuing our outreach and growing our membership of landfill warriors!
- We have raised tens of thousands of dollars to assist the community in preserving this land for all to enjoy!
We are a strong and united group. We have shown that out of state garbage and special interests are no match for our will, determination, and love for the community.
Let us move into April with our heads held high. Each day of hearings is another opportunity for us to rejoice! Each one of you plays a special role that is so very important to all we do! THANK YOU!
Let’s soldier on, Landfill Warriors! TOGETHER we will be victorious!
Your friend and fellow warrior,
Find Additional Information on the Following Pages
Join our Facebook Group
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Print and mail or email this volunteer form indicating the types of activities you are willing to assit with.