Bethlehem Landfill is requesting conditional use changes to the 275 acres of beautiful, rural, agricultural land in order to expand. This would make it more than twice its current size, doubling the negative impacts of the landfill on our township. This comes on the heels of their getting the zoning changes they requested at the December 21, 2022, Council meeting. They are trying to ram this through as quickly as possible to prevent opposition. This is an inappropriate request for consideration since the zoning changes have been challenged in court.
The majority of Lower Saucon Township Council as well as some members of the Planning Board and the Zoning Hearing Board have shown no interest in how this impacts us, the residents.
This website is your source for all the information you need to make your voice heard!
The complete text of the Substantive Zoning Board Appeal filed January 17, 2023, can now be found here.
CONDITIONAL USE HEARING DATES:
The Conditional Use Hearings have
been stayed at the current time. The
next hearing is scheduled for Friday,
June 16, 2023, beginning at 9:00 a.m.
The hearing will be held at the
Lower Saucon Township Building,
3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem, PA.
Lower Saucon Township Building
3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem PA
I want to take a moment to THANK YOU for your continued support to save 275 acres of forest in Lower Saucon Township from landfill development!
In just four short months we have built a coalition of over 300 people who care about the land and the future of our Lehigh Valley!
Look at what we have accomplished!
- We mobilized the community with yard signs, website, and a Facebook group of landfill warriors!
- – In a move shocking Lower Saucon Township and the landfill, we came to the conditional use hearings with an unprecedented coalition of citizens, organizations, municipalities, and Northampton County, opposing the landfill expansion.
… the landfill is now limping along at the conditional use hearings with little to no presentation explaining their expansion plans or justifying their destruction of the conserved land. We have knocked them off their feet.
- Our volunteers work tirelessly every day speaking with businesses in the community, elected officials, and organizations growing our coalition each day!
- We’ve assisted landowners in finding and retaining an outstanding attorney and experts to fight against the rezoning and conditional use application!
- With the Landfill on the run we assisted landowners in filing multiple challenges to the rezoning of the land. We are confident justice will be served!
- We have launched a social media campaign on Twitter and Facebook, continuing our outreach and growing our membership of landfill warriors!
- We have raised tens of thousands of dollars to assist the community in preserving this land for all to enjoy!
We are a strong and united group. We have shown that out of state garbage and special interests are no match for our will, determination, and love for the community.
Let us move into April with our heads held high. Each day of hearings is another opportunity for us to rejoice! Each one of you plays a special role that is so very important to all we do! THANK YOU!
Let’s soldier on, Landfill Warriors! TOGETHER we will be victorious!
Your friend and fellow warrior,
Find Additional Information on the Following Pages
Join our Facebook Group
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Print and mail or email this volunteer form indicating the types of activities you are willing to assit with.